Wellness is a word that is often tossed around without full knowledge or background on all that it includes. Wellness is defined as a lifestyle of balanced, healthy attitudes and choices designed to improve your personal performance on a variety of levels and enhance the overall quality of your life. The 7 areas of wellness are:
- Social Wellness: The process of creating and maintaining healthy relationships through the choices we make.
- Physical Wellness: The process of making choices to create flexible, cardio-vascular fit, energetic, and strong bodies. The choices we make are related to exercise, nutrition, rest, sleep, stress management, management of injury and illness, and the use of drugs.
- Emotional Wellness: The process of accepting our worth, creating a, recognizing, and expressing our feelings, and talking to ourselves in healthy ways. Creating and maintaining a positive self-concept is also part of this process.
- Career Wellness: The process of making and maintaining choices related to work. It includes working in a job for which we are suited and from which we gain satisfaction.
- Intellectual Wellness: The process of using our minds to create a greater understanding and appreciation of the universe and ourselves.
- Environmental Wellness: The process of making choices which will contribute to sustaining or improving the quality of life in the universe, including air, water, and land quality.
- Spiritual Wellness: The process of discovering meaning and purpose in life and demonstrating values through behavior.
Wellness is more than not being sick. It is about living a balanced lifestyle. Being well is critical for personal and academic success. Wellness is achieved through all dimensions of life.